With 2022 right around the corner, we thought we’d give an extra boost of encouragement to everyone who’s dealing with chronic pain. We all know we’ll hit a day where the pain seems insurmountable. Where it feels like we’ve done everything right, but everything still hurts. Where we think, “Why bother doing anything to try to feel better today?”
So we hope you enjoy these 22 quotes – from ancient to modern voices – and can find in them even a slight shift in your mindset about managing pain in 2022. What better way to start the new year than with a fresh perspective, strengthened motivation, and maybe a bit of comic relief?
Living With Chronic Pain Quotes
- “The difference between misery and happiness depends on what we do with our attention.“ — Sharon Salzberg, Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness
- “Pain is always new to the sufferer, but loses its originality for those around him.“ — Alphonse Daudet, In the Land of Pain
- To heal is to touch with love that which we previously touched with fear.” — Stephen Levine
- “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.“ — Thomas Paine, English and American political activist (1737 - 1809)
You can tell, just by the way some people talk about pain that they’ve lived with it for years and have tried to conquer it every which way. Hopefully their wise words can give you a lift when you need it, and help you feel a little stronger.
Quotes for Pain Relief
- “Music makes things hurt less.“ — Tyler Joseph, American singer-songwriter and record producer (1988-)
- “By feeling the sunshine, or pleasure, we end up forgetting all of our miseries, or pains in life.“ — Mwanandeke Kindembo, self-help book author (1996-)
- “Healing yourself is connected with healing others.” — Yoko Ono
- “Healing is an art. It takes time, it takes practice. It takes love.” — Maza Dohta (aka Pavana Reddy), poet
Chronic Pain Quotes to Make you Smile
- “I suffer from depression, or as my father puts it, ‘No I don’t.’” — Tig Notaro, comedian
- “My therapist keeps telling me to stop comparing myself to other people – that life’s not a competition. Which, to be fair, is exactly what I’d say to someone I was trying to beat, too.” — Emily Murnane, writer, comedian
- “I’m actually way funnier now, because I’m hungry… If comedy comes from pain, I should be funnier now than I ever was.” — Seth Rogen, actor
- “Anything you think is wrong with your body at the age of thirty-five you will be nostalgic for at the age of forty-five.”
“Sleepless in Seattle”? “When Harry Met Sally”? “You’ve Got Mail”? Nora Ephron knew a thing or two about physical and emotional pain, and out of her painful experiences came the narratives that still put smiles on all our faces.
Dealing With Pain Quotes
- “In life there are going to be some things that make it hard to smile. Through all the rain and pain you got to keep your sense of humor and smile for me now. Remember that.“ — Tupac Shakur, from the song “Smile” by Scarface
- “I have need of angels. Enough hell has swallowed me for too many years. But finally understand this–I have burned up one hundred thousand human lives already, from the strength of my pain.“ — Antonin Artaud, French-Occitanian poet, playwright, actor and theatre director (1896-1948)
- “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey“ — Kenji Miyazawa, Japanese poet and author of children's literature (1896-1933)
Pain Motivational Quotes
- “What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.“ — Rumi, Iranian poet (1207-1273)
- “Learning's a gift, even when pain’s your teacher!“ — Michael Jordan
- “Take pride in your pain. You are stronger than those who have none.” — Lois Lowry, Gathering Blue
- “Can't escape pain, kiddo. Battle through it and you get stronger.“ — Laurie Halse Anderson, The Impossible Knife of Memory
Even towering legends like Michael Jordan can’t avoid pain. But they know that how we think about our pain can change everything.
Encouragement for Chronic Pain Sufferers
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.“ — Martin Luther King, Jr., Strength to Love
- “The soul always knows what to do to heal itself. The challenge is to silence the mind.”
— Caroline Myss, spiritual author
- ”Natural forces within us are the true healers of disease.” — Hippocrates
And a bonus quote, because if the last couple of years have taught us anything, it’s to appreciate what we have with a little more childlike wonder.
- “You are stronger than you seem,
Braver than you believe,
and smarter than you think you are.“— A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
When 2022 starts to feel a little rough around the edges, or delivers on pain, think back on one of these quotes. Whether it brought you hope or understanding, or put a smile on your face, let it encourage you to stay strong when you’re facing pain.
That resolved outlook is part of how Lin and our caring health coaches help you better manage your pain. Don’t be afraid to seek your coach’s help through tough times. And if you haven’t already found your Lin health coach match, sign up now so we can introduce you to one today.